XLD, short form for X Lossless Decoder, is a popular free tool for Mac OS X that is able to decode/convert/play various ‘lossless’ audio files including OGG, FLAC, Monkey’s Audio .APE, Wavpack (.wv), TTA, Apple Lossless ALAC, TAK, Shorten (.shn), AIFF, WAV, etc. The supported audio files can be split into some tracks with cue sheet when decoding.
Unlike Handbrake (a famous video converter available for both Mac and Windows user), XLD can only run on Mac OS X. So there isn’t XLD for Windows at all. If you are trying to find X Lossless Decoder for Windows, this article introduces two XLD for Windows alternatives to help you convert, play your Lossless audio format and any common audio format.
XLD for Windows – Xilisoft Audio Converter
XLD, short form for X Lossless Decoder, is a popular free tool for Mac OS X that is able to decode/convert/play various ‘lossless’ audio files including OGG, FLAC, Monkey’s Audio.APE, Wavpack (.wv), TTA, Apple Lossless ALAC, TAK, Shorten (.shn), AIFF, WAV, etc. (20080313a)Fixed MP3 encoder to work correctly on G4/G5 Mac; Added support for embbeded cover art; XLD now can read embedded cover art in FLAC and ALAC, and can embed cover art in (HE-)AAC, MP3, FLAC and ALAC. If you want to embed the existing image file, drag and drop the file to the box as shown in the figure below. Using Free FLAC to MP3 Converter Mac to Convert FLAC to MP3. In this part I would recommend two free FLAC to MP3 Converter Mac version. The first one is XLD, short for X Lossless Decoder.It’s a tool developed for decoding/converting/playing various lossless music files on Mac OS X, a good choice to convert FLAC to MP3 Mac users have. It runs on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Actually there are several free Mac programs that can convert CD to FLAC, like X Lossless Decoder and Max. But XLD and MAX fail to win some people’s favor as XLD is unable to edit output song names before decoding, decodes one file at a time and doesn’t utilize multi-core processing; and MAX stopped updating since 2009 and may not meet your.
Xilisoft Audio Converter is a professional XLD for Windows alternative. It can batch convert among all sorts of audio formats (including MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, OGG, APE, AIFF, SHN, TAK, Apple Lossless ALAC), extract audio from different format video and HD-video files (AVI, MPEG, WMV, MP4, FLV, MKV, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AVCHD).
With the XLD for Windows similar, you can choose to convert an audio segment or several files at once, split a file into sections, simultaneously output a file into several formats and to the required size, adjust conversion parameters, edit ID3 tag info, add various audio effects, along with a variety of other great features. Moreover, multithreading and multi-core CPU processing are supported for offering high speed conversion.
This X Lossless Decoder alternative is fully compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. Trial version only allow 2 minutes conversion for each file. If your file in is no longer than 2 minutes, only half will be converted.
Buy Xilisoft Audio Converter Pro for Windows$28.76 (20% off authorized discount by Xilisoft) (60 Days Money Back Guarantee)
XLD for Windows – dBpoweramp Music Converter
dBpoweramp is another good XLD altertive for Windows. It can convert effortlessly between audio formats whilst preserving ID tags and Album Art. Practically every audio type is supported, including mp3, mp4, m4a (iPod & iTunes), Windows Media Audio (WMA), Ogg Vorbis, AAC, Apple Lossless and FLAC (from Codec Central), multi-CPU encoding uses all available cores. A broad range of DSP effects including ReplayGain Normalization, Graphic EQ.
Split a single-file lossless album image such as FLAC, APE, WV still a headache and for Mac OS X user is no exception.
[su_list icon=”icon: exclamation-circle” icon_color=”#d8000a”]
- The following tutorial is only for Mac OS X users.
- For Windows users see this tutorial.
STEP 1: DONWLOAD AND INSTALL XLD
[su_list icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right” icon_color=”#127a13″]
- X Lossless Decoder (XLD) is a awesome tool for Mac OS X that is able to decode, convert and ripp audio files. It works on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
- Download the current stable release 20141129 from the official page or directly from here.
STEP 2: XLD SETTINGS
- Run the application, then go to main tabs and hit XLD tab and select Preferences…
- In Preferences window hit General tab and choose FLAC in Output Format, then hit Option button and setup as shown.
- In File Naming tab setup as shown.
- In Batch tab setup as shown.
- In Metadata tab setup as shown.
- Other Tabs not pictured aren’t necessary for now.
- Now in main XLD tabs select Profile tab and save your settings as Convert to FLAC.
- Now seize the moment to setup for Apple lossless (ALAC), hit a General tab and choose Apple Lossless in
Output Format, then hit Option button and setup as shown.
- Repeat 3, 4, 5, 6 points to setup other tabs.
- Now in main XLD tabs select Profile tab and save your settings as Convert to Apple Lossless (ALAC).
STEP 3: SPLIT & CONVERT
Flac To Mp3 Mac Xld
- In main XLD tabs select Profile tab and choose Convert to FLAC, then go to File tab and select Open…
- In the next window search and select the Cue sheet file from your single-file FLAC album folder, then hit Open button.
- In the next window choose the single-file FLAC album image to split, then hit Open button.
- In the next window leave as shown on picture, then hit Transcode.
- Wait the progress…
- As you can see it has created a New folder.
- Containing the single-file FLAC album image splitted into Flac tracks.
- Now if you want to split & convert to Apple lossless (ALAC), go to main XLD tabs and select Profile tab and choose Convert to Apple Lossless (ALAC), then go to File tab and select to Open…
- Then repeat 2, 3, 4, 5 points.
- You’ll get to split and convert single-file FLAC Album image into Apple Lossless tracks.
[su_note note_color=”#ffff8c” text_color=”#000000″]
[su_list icon=”icon: apple” icon_color=”#1454ab”]
Xld Mac Os
- CONVERT FLAC TRACKS FILES TO APPLE LOSSLESS (ALAC)
- If you already have a FLAC tracks album as shown.
- And you want convert to Apple lossless.
- Go to XLD tabs -> Profile -> Convert Apple Lossless (ALAC)
- Then Go to XLD tabs -> File -> Open…
- In the next window select your FLAC tracks to convert and hit Open button.
- Wait the progress…
- And as you can see it has created a New folder containing the Apple Lossless tracks.
[su_note note_color=”#f4cfe3″ text_color=”#000000″]
[su_list icon=”icon: exclamation-triangle” icon_color=”#d8000a”]
- As an optional recommendation, I suggest always keep the original Lossless file as the main backup.