- Find Mac Address For Android Phone
- Get Mac Address Vista
- Get Mac Address Android Xamarin
- Android Find Mac Address
Media Access Control is a unique ID consisting of 12 digit hexadecimal numbers. It comes already hard-coded on your mobile system. This identifier helps to distinguish a specific device over the cluster of devices connected to a particular network. If you are surfing the web from your Android phone using a WiFi network, the network adapter of your WiFi devices must have a MAC address to set up the connection and transfer data over the network. MAC address looks something like this XX::XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, where each X is a hexadecimal character i.e. ranges from 0-9 or A-F. A possible MAC address could be, 1A:2B:3C:4D:5E:6F where the first 6 digits find your manufacturer and the last six digits find your network interface card.
Find Mac Address For Android Phone
Some Android phones actually don’t let you change MAC address without rooting it, but if you are lucky enough you will get through it. Android system is upgrading with new security features with every upgrade, it is becoming difficult to change the MAC address Android Permanent. Aug 12, 2019 To find your MAC address, head to Settings General About. Scroll down a bit and you’ll see your MAC address listed as “Wi-Fi Address.” Android. On Android, you can find this information in the Settings app. Pull down from the top of the screen and tap the gear icon or open your app drawer and tap the “Settings” app icon to open it. This is great for Android phones and tablets using Wifi, but I am trying to get the Ethernet MAC address on an old Gingerbread Android tablet that can use either Wifi or Ethernet. Any thoughts on how to check the Ethernet MAC address? – Seth Aug 4 '16 at 19:58. Jan 16, 2020 For starters, MAC Address stands for Media Access Control Address. It is used as a unique identifier for your device on network interfaces like wireless networks (Wi-Fi) and Ethernet connections.
There any many instances where someone has blocked your device from connecting to their router, what should you do in that case? Changing the MAC address of your device would definitely work in this case. If you are connected to a WiFi but you don’t want to leave any trace of your presence on the network i.e. you want to protect your privacy, in that situation also you can change the MAC address in Android Devices.If you ISP binds the services to a particular set of MAC addresses but you changed your device, you can change the MAC address to get internet access. Of course, MAC address can be changed for many other malpractices but this guide on changing the MAC address doesn’t promote such illegal practices, it only only meant to give you a insight on the concept.
If your Android device is rooted, you can easily change the MAC address of the device but what if it is not? Don’t worry we have a trick to change the MAC address without rooting your android device. For changing the MAC address permanently, you will have to root your device. However, if you just want to have it temporary changed, you don’t need to root your device. But before moving on with changing the MAC, let us see how can you look up your MAC address. I strongly recommend to just note down your MAC address before starting to experiment on it. You also need to know the connection name, to get it all follow the steps below:
- Open up settings and then go to WiFi.
- Now, you will see a gear on the top of this screen, click it. But if you don’t see it, look for “Configure WiFi” option and click it. Some Android system have Advanced option in WiFi, MAC address can be found there also.
- Voila ! You can find the MAC address on the bottom of this screen. Keep a note of it.
- In order to get the interface name, you will have to install Terminal Emulator for Android. Go to Google Play Store and download it or click the link to get it.
- Once you download it, install it and open up.
- Type the following command : ip link
- You screen will be filled with lot of information, useful and useless. Now, remember I told you to keep a note of your MAC address. Just look for this MAC address under “link/ether” for all the cases.
- The one that matches our MAC address, is the connection name. For most of the devices it is either “wlan0” or “eth0”.
Now, that we know our MAC address and the connection name, we can go on to change the MAC address with this terminal emulator only. Before that you should have a valid MAC address in your mind or generate one from this link. Once, you have a new MAC address, just get on with the below steps:
- Launch the Terminal Emulator
- Just type the following command: ip link set wlan0 address XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY, where wlan0 is the name of the interface and XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY is the MAC address you want to set.
- Important thing to keep in mind that the manufacturer name should be kept unchanged while changing the MAC address i.e. XX:XX:XX (first 6 digits) should be same as before, otherwise you might face a lot of authentication issue.
- This is only a temporary change and when you restart your device, your previous MAC address will be retrieved back.
This was all about changing the MAC in non-rooted mobile phone, for rooted devices you have a bunch of options to select from. Here are a few techniques you can use:
1. Using BusyBox App
We still need a Terminal Emulator for this method. Open the Terminal and then type the following commands:
- su –> This will get you into super user mode
- busybox iplink show wlan0 –> this will pop up the current MAC address
- busybox ifconfig wlan0 hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX –> configure the new MAC address
- busybox iplink show eth0 –> this is to check whether the MAC address has been changed or not.
2. Using ChameleMAC App
Download and install the app from the link above and follow the steps:
- Open the app, it will ask for root permissions. Just grant it !
- Now, it is way too easy to work on this app. Everything is provided on the main interface of this app.
- Take a note of the Real MAC address of your computer and then go ahead to generate a random MAC address by clicking on the button specified.
- Click on “Apply new MAC”, if you find the generated MAC address good enough or you could generate another random MAC address.
- Once you click apply it, it will ask for confirmation. Go ahead with the change option.
Some Android phones actually don’t let you change MAC address without rooting it, but if you are lucky enough you will get through it. Android system is upgrading with new security features with every upgrade, it is becoming difficult to change the MAC address Android Permanent. You can try whatever method you like to change the MAC address, it doesn’t really matter. But do remember to change it on your own risk. If you have any problem, comment down below and let me know !
Read Also: How To Use Your Android Device as a Webcam
If you are a network administrator, you probably have to deal with mac addresses often. MAC address is required to identify a device on a particular network and manage its connection. Although it’s similar to the device ID, but it’s specifically used for network connection.
You can use it to restrict network access to specific devices, apply network rules, and even change it to spoof a different device. I am sure you can see how important it is to know your device’s MAC address. Therefore, today I will show you 4 ways to find MAC address on any Android phone.
1. Find MAC address from the device information
The quickest way to find MAC address on Android is to look for it in the About device section.
Here’s how to access it:
- Go to “Settings” and tap on “About device”.
- Here tap on “Status” and you’ll find the MAC address under the “WiFi MAC address”
You can tap and hold on the MAC address to copy it and paste it anywhere you like.
2. Find MAC address from the WiFi settings
Alternatively, you can also find MAC address from WiFi advanced settings. Follow the below instructions:
- Access “Settings” and tap on “Connections” (or WiFi and networks) option.
- Now tap on “Advanced” button at the top-right corner.
- In the Advanced settings, you’ll find the MAC address at the bottom.
3. Use a dialer code to find MAC Address
If you are one of those geeky users who like using codes, then you’ll surely like this option. Like many other secret Android codes, there is also a dial pad code to find MAC address on Android. Here’s is what you need to do:
Get Mac Address Vista
Open up the dial pad (the app you use for calling) and enter the code *#*#232338#*#*. A tiny window will open up to show your mac address.
Note: This trick may not work on some Android phones. For example, it doesn’t work on my Samsung device.
4. Use a MAC address finder app
If you frequently need to look for the MAC address of your Android phone, then using a dedicated app might be a better option. There are many apps for this purpose, but I recommend What’s my MAC address for its simplicity.
Just install and launch the app and it will show the device MAC address on the top. Additionally, it also shows SSID and BSSID (WiFi MAC address), which could also be useful in many situations. If you need to copy any of the information, just tap and hold on it.
Get Mac Address Android Xamarin
These are all the methods I know to find MAC address on Android devices. I particularly like the first method on this list as it’s easier to access and you also have the option to copy the MAC address. If you know any other ways to find MAC address on Android, let us know in the comments below.